PHS, TCCHS Academic Decathlon teams bound for state
Pearland Independent School District is sending two teams to the Texas Academic Decathlon meet in late February.
Pearland High School and Turner College and Career High School teams both advance to state after the Region 5 competition.
PHS decathletes placed first in the large-school division. Despite having approximately one-third the enrollment of other teams in the large-school division, where they competed for the first time, the TCCHS team also scored high enough to advance to state.
- Rachel Moore: Silver in speech, math, language/literature, art and science; overall honors silver medalist
- Derek Bedar: Silver in language/literature
- Shanii Tabb: Silver in math; and fourth overall scholastic medalist
- Ericka Chang: Gold in interview; bronze in speech and math; overall varsity bronze medalist
- Mitchell Jackson: Gold in speech, math, music, economics and science; silver in interview, social science and art; and overall varsity gold medalist
TCCHS Awards (Large-School Division):
- Kevin Kuriachan: Gold in essay
- Kaylen Hayes: Bronze in interview
- Jared Streeter: Gold in interview
Academic Decathlon is designed to engage high school students from all academic levels in rigorous team competition.
During meets, students compete individually in multiple-choice tests in science, math, economics, language/literature, art and music. Competitors also take a written quiz and complete speech, interview and essay contests.
Coaches include Robert Layne, Lisa Atieno and Sarabeth Gaddis for PHS and Jacob Schutter, Dana Hutchins and Jana Morse for TCCHS.(1/31/17)